Do you still think social media is a fleeting fad? Not convinced it’s worth investing your time or effort? I urge you to think again!
That doesn’t mean you must keep your smartphone by your side 24/7 and post an update for every single thought or action; but I would recommend that you seriously consider signing up for or refreshing your LinkedIn and Facebook profiles. Why? A study in 2010 found that 92% of employers said they used or plan to use social networks to recruit. Whether you’re actively looking for or passively open to hearing about opportunities, it’s integral to have a social media presence. Even if you’re not planning to make a career move in the immediate future, you never know what social media connections you make now can assist you in the future. Here are a few tips for sprucing up your social media identity:
- No more mystery silhouettes! Post a picture: no need to pay for a photographer here, but stay away from sunglasses, too much skin, etc. – just keep it classy and professional
- Add a summary. Take a few minutes to tell us about yourself and what you’re good at
- Job details. 3-5 bullet points or 3-4 short sentences under each job is sufficient (some folks even copy and paste from resume)
- Be specific. If you want your profile to be more searchable, make sure to add key words and technical skills
- Endorsements. Ask your former co-workers or managers to recommend you – potential employers love to see these! – and don’t forget to return the favor
- Invite away! Start adding connections and building your network – you’ll find the digital world instantly gets smaller!
As a recruiter, it’s great to see your resume, but viewing your LinkedIn page adds a personal touch and helps us get to know you better. After all, the better we are able to get acquainted with you and your background, the easier it will be to match you up with one of our great clients! So take a quick moment to double check and refresh your online profiles and happy e-socializing!