But there’s only so much top tech talent to go around.
At the end of the day, thinking about the competition is essential to staying a few steps ahead. The fact is that they are definitely trying to attract the same tech talent who would fit perfectly in your organization. Here at Synergis, we’ve heard of resumes being posted on job boards that are pulled down minutes later because candidates are deluged with so many requests – it’s that competitive.
Tips for Landing Exceptional IT Professionals
So, you have to bring your “A” game to win the battle for talent. Here are seven tips to put you at the head of the pack:
- Work with leading-edge technology. Today’s tech talent craves unique challenges and opportunities to work with the latest and greatest. If your company is using archaic technology, it may signal to IT professionals that you aren’t committed to investing in the best.
- Build a positive reputation. With pressure to constantly deliver innovative solutions under tight deadlines, IT professionals expect some late hours and stressful situations. It comes with the territory. But certain employers have reputations among top talent as “sweat shops” – companies that constantly wear down employees through consistently long hours, rigidity and confinement. The tech community is a close-knit one, and once you have that reputation it’s hard to get away from it. Truly elite tech talent will let recruiters know the companies that hold those reputations, and they won’t work with them. Take an honest look at your organization. If you fall in this category, take steps to remedy that – your future technical production could be at stake.
- Get active in the community. Most companies can’t expect top tech talent to flock to their organization based on word of mouth alone. Being active in the community is a great way to stand out and build personal relationships that break through the type of job board barriers I mentioned above. Meet with leaders at top tech schools in your area and get involved with meetups and other groups revolving around top technologies.
- Be flexible. This one should actually be a given nowadays, but many employers still haven’t come around. Today’s top IT professionals expect (it’s really not considered a perk anymore) flexibility in hours and work arrangements (like the ability to work from home or telecommute). This is a benefit to your organization as well, as your business may be in Arizona, but you can work with a top developer here in Atlanta without missing a beat.
- Streamline your process. I can definitively tell you that top tech talent is not waiting around for two or three interviews – you must get the process done in one day and be prepared to make a decision quickly. If you don’t, your competitors will. Truly high-level tech talent will likely have about three to five job offers within two weeks of posting their resume on a job board. Refine your process and be ready to jump on those opportunities.
- Use a strategic IT staffing partner. It can be hard for a recruiter or manager to stay on top of job boards and get their message in to top tech talent within a short window, or to attend every meetup or local programming group. But here at Synergis, our job is to build strong relationships with talented IT professionals. When you partner with an IT staffing firm you’re gaining an ally who can not only identify and find those elusive IT professionals, but can also best position your company as a great place to work. We’ll help you find precisely the tech talent you need.