Sr. Software Engineer
6-month contract with potential to extend and/or convert
Remote – prefer local to Burlington, VT but not required
The Sr. Software Engineer writes and maintains code within applications and systems to implement capabilities and features, improve performance and maintainability, while reducing technical debt in alignment with product and technology roadmaps. The Software Engineer plays a role in Agile planning, providing advice and guidance, and monitoring emerging trends.
- Works with Process Owners and Business Analysts to understand the challenges that end users face in their day-to-day work and partner with them to design viable solutions.
- Recommends viable solutions to processes, technology, and interfaces that improve the effectiveness of the team and reduce technical debt.
- Provides input into story sizing, backlog grooming, and release planning.
- Contributes to solution designs to address critical issues and complex problems.
- Performs data analysis, coding, testing, integration and maintenance of applications.
- Assists in reviewing the current technical architecture, including design patterns and development methodologies.
- Understands technical architecture and writes software that is aligned with agreed upon standards.
- Performs trouble-shooting efforts and investigations when necessary.
- Provides ongoing support, and maintenance of deployed products.
- Actively participates in the engineering community, staying up to date on new software technologies and best practices and shares insights with others in the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of industry related professional experience and education
- At least 8 years of working experience
- Java and/or .Net programming experience
- 5+ years experience implementing, customizing and supporting the enterprise level software solutions
- Experience with Amazon Web Services and/or other cloud services
- Working experience with application lifecycle methodologies (e.g. agile, iterative)
- Working experience in analysis, design and programming
- Proficient programming, unit and system testing skills for all levels of complexity
- Ability to effectively report on application development resources for projects and maintenance
- Ability to synthesize information quickly at a high level and makes decisions in ambiguous situations
- Ability to recognize matters of urgency and know when to escalate effort
- Strong verbal, written, interpersonal, troubleshooting, and analytical skills
- Ability to pay strong attention to detail, have a strong customer focus, and collaborate and function effectively in a team environment and independently on complex problems