Title: Technical Writer
Duration: 12 Month Contract
The GE Knowledge Management Team maintains the knowledge governance for the entire Techstop team. This is a new team. Of late, we have identified the need to improve our knowledge base by writing quality documentation for strategic projects. We are also receiving requests from our partner teams to write documentation for their technical changes.
If you’re an experienced technical writer, know what system administrators need to know to do their job, and then convert that knowledge into easy understandable language for end-users to comprehend, then this job is for you!
Technical Writer Overall Responsibilities:
You will work with the GE Knowledge Management team to take care of all content writing needs. You will write the content for all types of users – Technicians who have just joined the team and in need of intuitive content and at the same time translating it into customer-centric and customer-friendly language for end-users. You’ll work with technical folks, product teams, and program managers to document complex systems and procedures and create documentation to support the change. You will also draft email communications according to the right audience to market internal products, services or implement a new change.
Technical Writer Top 3 Daily Responsibilities:
- Writing Help articles for all types of users – Technicians who have just joined the team and in need of intuitive content and at the same time translating it into customer-centric and customer-friendly language for end-users.
- Drafting email communications according to the right audience to market internal products, services or implement a new change.
- Understanding user and tech journeys in detail and rewriting new/existing Help articles to fit the user/tech journeys.
Technical Writer Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Education: bachelor's degree in journalism, English, or communications – 100% fluency (reading, writing, speaking) in English
- 4-5 years of Technical Writing – The ability to take information from various written and verbal sources and translate that into well organized, easy to read prose and how-to instructions.
- 4-5 years of professional writing experience including experience writing and publishing public-facing content such as blog posts or help center articles
- 3+ years of Technical background – Understanding of technical concepts involved in Operating Systems and Networking and writing it for technical and non-technical audience
- 4-5 years of working in a fast-paced environment with shifting priorities and multiple stakeholders.
- 3+ years of experience in writing docs, slides, emails for different audiences including executives
Technical Writer Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Content strategy experience
- Customer support experience
- The right person for this role will have excellent written English skills and the ability to draft clear and concise articles.
- You should be comfortable with intricate technologies including troubleshooting operating systems and networking.
- You should enjoy simplifying difficult concepts and presenting them in straightforward, easy-to-understand prose.
- It’s also important that you’ve worked on in-progress processes and know how to organize far-flung information by multiple authors and make it easy to navigate.